Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Sound of Crocheting



I recently bought a DAC. I don't know why I didn't think to buy one sooner. An article I read stated that the sound card you have in your laptop was not picked for sound quality; it was picked for size and the ability to allow the laptop to be thinner or smaller. That makes a lot of sense and I don't know why I didn't research this sooner. 

DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter. A DAC is not an Amp. An Amp makes sound louder and a DAC converts digital audio to analog audio to be used by headphones, speakers or any device that takes analog sound as input. When I use a good pair of headphones, my music sounds so much better.

Last night I decided to watch the movie the Guardians of the Galaxy using the DAC. I never noticed how much details I missed because I could not clearly hear what was being said. While I watched the movie I continued crocheting the scarf shown above. I started that scarf about exactly a year ago and never put in the time to finish it. A coworker mentioned crocheting while watching TV, but technically I don't have a TV and the shows I watch (online) tend to be in a foreign language. I spend most of my time trying to learn new words, phrases and reading the captions. I can't crochet while watching or I will miss a lot of what is happening. 

The scarf has a basketweaving pattern, which I didn't know was possible for crocheting. It looks really nice, but it takes up a lot of yarn. Learning from my mistakes from the gray infinity scarf I made right before this one, I'm going to make this one a little shorter than I want it to be. When I wash it, it should stretch to the length I want it to be. I'm a little worried about getting more yarn because I don't live near the store where I bought this yarn anymore. So when I run out, I'm going to have to search for more or think or alternatives.

No comments: