Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Earthquakes and Watercolor Theory


I felt my first pacific northwest earthquake yesterday.


I was in my living room siting in a chair using my watercolor crayons. I was testing out which colors blend well with each other. Ten minutes prior to the earthquake, my neighbor ran from one point in their apt to another, which caused the place to shake. When the earthquake started, I kind of ignored it at first, but then I realized that I didn't hear my neighbor prior to the shaking and I couldn't hear their washing machine either (spin cycles shake the building sometimes). I turned around to look at a wind chime I have and saw that it was shaking.

It was over after about a minute and I tweeted about it because I was still unsure. I searched twitter and that is when I saw people posting the same question. Apparently the center of the earthquake was in Canada.

The earthquake registered as a 4.8 and was the largest earthquake in this region since 2004. It felt like someone was gently shaking my chair to get my attention. I was so into the watercoloring that it made me actually turn around to see if someone was there @_@.

So back to the watercoloring, I started off with cobalt blue but I want to do the same for most of the other colors I have. It's a good way to learn about colors. For example, cobalt blue is supposed to be a primary blue. This means it blends well with red to make a vibrant purple and blends well with yellow to make a vibrant green. If you look in the photo above, you will see the purple I made came out muddy, or more neutralized. This happens when all three primary colors are present which makes the mixed color move more toward black. The red I used is Scarlet red and apparently this is a warm red. Warm reds have small amounts of yellow in them and blend better with warm yellows. 

No comments: