Sunday, October 18, 2015

100 Days of Black and White Photos: Day 79


I found some more long lost photos. At one point in time, I use to use Aperture. Do you remember Aperture? It use to be the main competitor for Adobe Lightroom.
I remembering going to the NYU campus bookstore during lunch and buying a copy. It was way cheaper than Lightroom, but was suppose to have the same features. I remember going home that day excited, installing it, and being slightly confused. The UI wasn't that intuitive. I think they were marketing themselves as more as an advance photo library with editing features, but Lightroom was marketing themselves as a digital darkroom and photo management app.

Not too long after buying the Aperture app, I went to an Adobe event and won a copy of Lightroom 3. At that time, I was a big Photoshop user. I had been using it since version 4. I couldn't see how I was suppose to use either Aperture or Lightroom. All the podcasts I listened to and articles I read, made it seem like fashion and wedding photographers would get the most use out of them. So I didn't use either one and kept using Photoshop. I would even use the app that came with my cameras for working with RAW. Eventually my photography went dormant.

Lightroom apparently won the war, because Apple decided to discontinue Aperture and make the iPhoto app more powerful. In fact they re-branded the iPhoto app as just the Photos app. I use the Photos app. Well, I had to. They discontinued the iPhoto app and I was using that. The Photos app is suppose to integrate well with the mobile version of the app but I don't use that feature because I don't want to sync every photo on my iPod.

But back to the found photos. Some of them aren't even that bad. I mean some of them are out of focus. I can see I use to have trouble focusing on a subject. However, there are some others that need a little work and I should actually upload online. For example, I went on a photo walk with Adobe and I only posted about 4 of those photos to flickr. The other day I was talking about the Highline park to a coworker who had never been to NYC. I remember going to the park a lot and taking tons of photos, but I had barely any online to show my coworker. I ended up showing him my friend's photos of the park (his photos actually put my photos to shame).

I believe I was stuck on the fact that you should only post your best work. I was comparing myself to other photographers that I followed or admired and my photos were no where as good as theirs. So I didn't want to post anything. Only recently have I started to not care so much what others think or how I am perceived. I'm trying to "do" more and "be" more. I trying to be less hyperaware and analyzing everything. It's a process and I'm trying to make progress and be better.

It also helps that I've learned a lot about composition and seeing a photo with my eyes first before lifting the camera. Shooting in film really makes you stop to think about what you are capturing. You only have 12-36 photos a roll and you can't check the back of your camera to see what you shot. So my future photos should be better at displaying a subject or telling a story ... (emphasis on "should").

No comments: