Thursday, April 9, 2015

Brownie in a Cup

I remember scrolling through my tumblr feed and seeing a recipe for making a brownie in a mug. I thought it was a brilliant idea and why wasn't it something I had thought of before.

I used a mixture of two different recipes. I couldn't decide on which one to use. I liked that one used butter instead of olive oil, because butter sounded more baking related and olive oil has a very strong smell.



The recipe said to use unsweetened cocoa powder. I used unsweetened Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix. I'm not sure if that was a good thing. None of the recipes I saw stated what type of powered they used. Also, I've recently been on a kick to make things with whatever I already have or buy often, so i wasn't going to buy cocoa powder just for this experiment.

This might fall under "the operation was a success but the patient died". The brownie did have a cake consistency but I think the brownie taste depends on what cocoa powder you use to make it. All I could taste was Swiss Miss, so I wasn't pleased. However, in the last couple of months, I had started using hot chocolate as a substitute for snacks when it's late at night. I might have turned my tastebuds against the taste of it. I may try again using another cocoa brand but then I may have a lot of mix left over until I find some other use for it. 

The recipe I used is below:

2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 dash salt
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
4 Tablespoons of flour


- In a microwaveable mug, add the butter and melt in the microwave for about 10 seconds (or however long it take for your microwave to melt butter).

- Mix the butter, the water, the salt and vanilla extract.

- add flour while you continue to stir.
- add cocoa power and sugar while still stirring.
- microwave for about 60-90 seconds.


My Experience:

I think I forgot to add the salt, so maybe if I had added it, I would have liked it better. After 60 secs the brownie didn’t look like it was done. I put it back in the microwave for 10 seconds twice. So I microwaved mine for 80 seconds. I think if I do it again, I will start off by microwaving for 75 seconds.

I used the following recipes to make my recipe:

Microwave Chocolate Mug Brownie
Brownie in a Mug

Let me know if you try it and if you like it.



No comments: