Sunday, August 2, 2015

100 Days of Black and White Photos: Day 1

I know my day one photo is more on the sucky side. I decided this morning to do the challenge and didn't give myself much time to think about my subject matter. I have a feeling this will be a common thing before I get used to seeing things that will make great black and white photos.



I learned to make pizza a while a go and now Saturdays are my pizza making day. It was the only thing I could think of that I could photograph. I knew before hand pizza would be a bad black & white subject but, I wanted to do it anyway.

I also took the photo with my new phone which is a Zenphone 2. The camera is great and I want to test it out, so most of my photos will come from that camera. I may also take photos from my Lumix GF2 or Nikon p7000.  The Zenphone's built in camera does not have a B&W or monochrome setting. I had to find a camera in the Google play store that took B&W photos. I found an app called "BlackCam". The app allows you to take photos in B&W and has preset setting you can choose to get the right look. You can also edit the exposure, contrast, and brightness. I don't know if I like it, but it will do for now.

Pizza is a bad choice for B&W because most of the colors are in the same range. Most of the colors are yellows, oranges, reds, and browns. When turned into B&W, they looks like the same or similar ranges of gray; not a lot of contrast. The places where there is contrast, it looks like I burned the pizza, but I didn't.

I had three different light sources on the pizza. One from the overhead kitchen light, the light that is over the stove and the hallway light. I'm not sure of the temperature of the lights, but they all give off more of a yellow/orange light.  All the lights in my apt are the energy saving kind of light bulbs, but I'm not sure about the light for the stove. I should research all of this for the future.

No comments: