Tuesday, August 25, 2015

100 Days of Black and White Photos: Day 24


My new toy! I bought an 35mm film SLR camera. I'm so excited to start using it!


I actually surprised myself by getting an Olympus SLR since I'm generally a Nikonista (Nikonian?). But then again, I have a Panasonic Lumix GF2, which is a micro four thirds camera, which is a format that Panasonic and Olympus are supporting, which means you can use a lens from one on the other and I have an Olympus lens for my Lumix GF2 ... what was my point again? Oh yeah, film camera!!

I do plan on shooting some black and white film, but I don't know if the first batch will be any good, since shooting with film is like learning all over again.

This camera was produced from 1975-79. Even thought it was created in the 70s, it is still considered an automatic camera, which blows my mind. The camera was the first to have a TTL direct metering system for film. This means the camera can sense the light that is entering the lens and change the settings based on that information. The camera has two small watch batteries that help to power this feature. I wanted to get the OM-1, since it is the fully manual version, but these cameras are rare and hard to find, so getting the OM-2 wasn't so bad, even thought I am now dependent on small watch/toy batteries.

The camera does have a manual setting, so I can use it in its full manual glory, but manual still drains the batteries. According to the manual that I will spend the next couple of days reading (I wonder if I can add it as a book on Goodreads), if the battery is dead, the camera shutter locks up and the camera can not be used. So now I have to buy spare batteries so this camera doesn't hold my film hostage. And so marks the beginning of my journey ...

No comments: