Thursday, September 10, 2015

100 Days of Black and White Photos: Day 40


Day 40. 60 more days to go @_@. I've been researching and testing out best ways to digitize film that I was behind on another project I was doing with a friend. Sorry Jen!


I've also kind of been phoning this project in. On one hand, uploading old photos helps me to finally do something with photos I've taken a while ago, which is good. But on the other hand, I'm not out experimenting and learning first hand. It's a balance that I recently let tip more in one direction.

A long time ago, Smith Tower was the tallest building west of the Mississippi river. Now the tallest building in Seattle is the Columbia building, which is also the second tallest building on the West coast. To get to the observation deck in Smith Tower, you have to ride an old time elevator that is manned by an attendant. As you go up, you can see the inner parts of the elevator shaft and see each floor whisk by. When you get to the 35th floor, you have to walk through a huge room called The Chinese Room.

In 1976 a restaurateur by the name of Ivar Haglund bought Smith Tower and decided to house all the asian artifacts he brought back to the US from China. This photo (taken March 2014) is of a statute that is sitting right next to a chair, that according to the guide, if a female sits in that chair, she will get married in 6 months or something like that. Yeah, Okay.... The room can also be rented out for events

No comments: